Narayan Poudel, 32, a temporary teacher at a Primary School in Pokhara, 200 kms. from Kathmandu, Nepal, killed Dehila Yehia, a 25 year old American woman, who was on a mission to help earth-quake victims, with hammer blows inside his room, wrapped her body in a bed sheet, and threw into the seti river. A person who was on a noble deed, becomes a hapless victim of a criminal minded individual!
A girl was picked up from a BPO in Bangalore, and raped by two people, and within a few days another girl was picked up, and raped by four people, again in Bangalore. There are a plethora of such incidences around the world, where man turns against man, much against the acceptable belief systems of normal human beings. If it is a wild animal surviving on the flesh of other animals, we can understand that presence of an element of kindness, may prevent it from making the kill, and has to suffer. Is it so with a human being, who is blessed with compassion, kindness, and ability to reason?
Every individual is possessed with an inherent drive to project oneself ahead of others, to undertake any activity to enhance comforts, and reduce pain, use strategy, or tactics to convert any situation favourable to the self, probably for a secure future for the self, the family, or even for satisfying a greedy desire. The intensity of this self drive, availability of direct or indirect support from key persons in the society, resulting in overall fearlessness of the prevailing law, and a state of mind overwhelmed by egoistic temperament, may make people blind towards the harmful effect of the crime towards others, and ultimately even toward the self. Or is it fate, ill-luck or misfortune, simply greed, fear out of insecurity, over-ambition, or act of God behind such crimes?
Around 20% of the population are criminal minded, and all the police, the army, the administrative machinery, and its entire network, are actually for this 20% people. The rest 80% are law-abiding citizens who do not require these legal, moral or social compulsions, or controls of any kind. The institutional and organisational efforts to tackle crime have increased tremendously over the years, but unfortunately, the crime rate has not shown any sign of reduction.
The compulsions of life consisting of human deficiencies of various nature, the longings for comforts, actually intensify our attachments to the world of possessions, which appear to be a perpetual reality, especially in the modern society. In spite of the presence of common sense, intelligence, and the ability to reason, mind never agrees to turn away from comforts in real life, making us more and more entangled in even immoral activities, often leading to crimes.
On top of it, relatives, friends, and well wishers keep on motivating you to be tactical, strategic, and ambitious to achieve more and more, even if you have to adopt the path of aggression, disharmony, and even annihilation. The process of annihilation appear to be a necessity and various compulsive attempts will have to be resorted to, to cover up the activity with duty bound devotion towards some ideology, or out of fear of someone more powerful. Such continued persistence compels you to get entangled in irrational, illogical, and even activities harmful to others. Ultimately making you feel that in spite of variety of achievements, you feel, you have reached neither the top nor the bottom, and somehow struggle to survive, actually like a living dead body.
Constant failures, and self deficiencies stare at you, wherever you go, the burden of life becomes unbearable, and you are left with empty stomach, empty pockets, leaving you with nothing but emotional disturbances. This situation compels you to resort to some action to ensure your escape from it. Negativity fills our mind and we land up in a situation where we undertake the job with a firm self commitment to face any consequences, often leading to daring criminal activities.
Coping with life somehow becomes a compulsive necessity, and you tend to ignore the illegality, and the antisocial nature of the activities, even though there are ample opportunities to introspect and become conscious. A criminal by nature, internally motivated to be a criminal of high order, of course, can be brought under control or diverted from his mission, only if there are checks and balances in the society to make his mission futile, and to inflict fear of law in his mind.
The religious sentiments, cultural compulsions, and group effects, make the situation worst, and uncontrollable, and a need arises for making attempts to establish harmony in the society. Usage of discretion, intelligence, and the faculty of reasoning, never become practical, and knowingly or unknowingly, in the absence of individual and group value systems, criminality becomes a way of life.